Phew! After goodness-knows-how-many hours, I’ve finally completed my Minecraft-based rendition of The Settlers of Catan, dedicated to the awesome shroomgirl!
There were quite a few foul-ups which had me gnashing my teeth, and I gave myself a lot of extra work in the final stages, when I decided to change the border around the outside edge from stone to water, but overall, I think it’s turned out pretty well 😀
I did have to resort to some compromises. Because of the way the port hexes’* question marks and numbers turned out when rotated through multiples of 60°, I realized it wouldn’t be a good idea to attempt the same with the resource symbols – but I also felt that having them all the “right way up” would look wrong. Instead, I decided to fill the circles on the port hexes with the relevant Minecraft blocks. It doesn’t work out so well for the iron ore, because the details blur away when up in the air, but it was the best I could think of. And, for identical reasons, all the houses on the board are in the horizontal position.
Minecraft lends itself very well to producing an appropriately-themed rendition of Catan, because all the resources used in the board game are available in Minecraft 🙂
Once again, I had to use the Extreme Increase View Distance mod (note that it doesn’t appear to have been updated for 1.7 – I switched back to 1.6.6 one last time, before I even found out that there wasn’t a version for the newest Minecraft Beta), and it took quite a bit of time to have it all render, even on the Normal distance. This isn’t an indictment of the mod – it’s my PC which is “at fault” (it’s old, poor thing – it doesn’t deserve to have its processor thrashed about in this way!). Because of the length of time taken to do the render – and a lot of flying about was involved, in an effort to speed up the process – I only had enough patience to render the hexes themselves, along with a little of the water on the outside border. Sorry!
I think that, if I was to try this sort of massive-scale build again, I’ll wait until I have a better machine!
UPDATE: After I was asked for a copy of the WorldEdit schematic, I’ve now made it available for download at my GoogleDocs page! Please be warned, however, that even though the schematic’s file size is only 34K, the region is in the order of two million blocks, so you’re going to be a bit laggy for a while after you paste it in!
* Picture credit: Patrick Grogan, on the Board Game Geek website (www.boardgamegeek.com).